We're Hiring! Manager of Communications and Media
We have been made aware of increased recruiting scams. Note that we are not making cold contact recruiting candidates for this position, we are only reviewing applications sent to us directly via email. Do not give your information to anyone claiming to recruit on our behalf. All emails regarding this position will come from an @comingcleaninc.org domain, we do not use any other email domains. If you have any questions regarding the legitimacy of an offer, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager of Communications and Media
Full Position Description
Summary of Opportunity:
You lead Coming Clean’s communications and media operations, in strategic partnership with the Environmental Justice Health Alliance for Chemical Policy Reform (EJHA), and are responsible for developing and implementing an effective communications and media strategy to advance the mission, vision, and initiatives of Coming Clean and EJHA. You work closely with Coming Clean and EJHA leadership, staff, members, affiliates, and allies to increase visibility and media coverage of issues, campaigns/initiatives, and the Coming Clean network as a whole. You organize consistent framing, messaging, and promotion of Coming Clean’s and EJHA’s work across multiple communication channels including mass media, social media, websites, and internally among the members of Coming Clean, EJHA, and allied networks. You help increase knowledge and skills related to communications strategies and activities across the network, and especially for grassroots members.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
The primary responsibility of the Manager of Communications and Media is to support the success of Coming Clean’s and EJHA’s programs through public communications strategies and activities, especially media outreach and coverage – this will depend upon organizing a communications / messaging focus within and among Coming Clean and EJHA its members. Primary roles include leading communications strategy and activities planning with campaign and project teams; organizing common framing and messaging across the network and its initiatives and teams to highlight priority themes, issues, and voices; drafting internal and public communications emails, releases, and other documents; executing high-quality media outreach; and participating in management of digital communications platforms (websites and social media).
The Manager of Communications and Media reports to Coming Clean’s Program Director.
Organizing Communications and Media Efforts For and Within the Coming Clean Network
- Monitoring, sharing, and framing relevant issues/opportunities, stories, new research, and media reports and initiatives (especially those that reflect, reinforce, or support priority issues, themes, and messages) with Coming Clean members and teams via the Coming Clean listserv, member site, and other online tools, and during meetings with staff, leaders and members.
- Collaborating with initiative and team leaders to create and advance communications and media strategies in support of programmatic and policy goals.
- Building enthusiasm and action among network and EJHA members, and allied organizations and networks, to amplify priority issues, themes, and messages.
- Convening at least quarterly meetings of interested staff, leaders and network members to coordinate communications and media activities, inform communications analysis, and align messaging on key topics, issues and themes to elevate messaging and visibility with external audiences.
- Maintaining a thorough and current organizational communications and media calendar.
Media Relations & Outreach
- Engaging in national and regional cultivation of relevant media outlets, and relationship-building with reporters and analysts across all media formats, with an emphasis on growing reporter relationships in the mainstream, ethnic, and trade media sectors.
- Drafting and disseminating written communications materials to include media advisories, press releases, and statements, including quotes for featured individuals, op-eds, blog, and social media posts, through collaborative processes with relevant leaders and staff.
- Pitching journalists on Coming Clean issues and events.
- Responding to reporter inquiries and requests.
- Developing or supporting development of clear, compelling frames and core messages for use by staff and other stakeholders in all communications.
- Planning and coordinating in-person media events and press conference calls.
- Collaborating with external partners and coalitions on media and communications efforts, when appropriate.
- Staying on top of general media trends regarding Coming Clean’s and EJHA’s issues, and monitoring the news cycle to take rapid response actions related to communications and media.
- Tracking media coverage and metrics to report internally on success and impact of communications efforts, and optimize future content based on results.
Communications Capacity-Building and Support for the Coming Clean and EJHA Networks
- Providing periodic media training and mentoring for member organizations and leaders, with an emphasis on supporting grassroots groups.
- Providing targeted support for member groups’ or networks’ releases/communications efforts on issues or projects that are directly connected to Coming Clean or EJHA, to increase the visibility and success of the network’s overarching goals.
- Consulting on content creation by Coming Clean or EJHA member/affiliate groups.
Digital Strategy, Advocacy and Content Management
- Planning and managing a digital strategy for Coming Clean to ensure organization’s external messages and priorities are being effectively communicated through the Coming Clean and EJHA websites and other online platforms.
- Advising on, and assisting with, website design and management.
General Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Develop effective, collaborative relationships with Coming Clean co-workers, leaders, members, partners and consultants.
- Participate fully in Coming Clean’s staff team (including staff meetings and calls, joint planning and work tracking, organization-wide events, intra-staff communications, thinking creatively about how to advance Coming Clean’s mission, etc.).
- Communicate clearly and reliably as needed via phone, video conference, email, and in person with Coming Clean and EJHA members, allies, staff, and consultants; pro-actively and constructively raising up challenges and pursuing solutions; and being accountable for achieving task deadlines (or modifying those deadlines with adequate notice if necessary).
- Exhibit professional, courteous behavior; polite persistence; problem-solving skills for routine tasks as well as in urgent situations; promotion of Coming Clean program goals and principles; furtherance of our strategic partnership with EJHA; and alignment with Coming Clean’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Ably represent Coming Clean at strategic gatherings and in presentations.
- Understand and adhere to the Coming Clean Principles, the Principles of Environmental Justice, the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing, and the Louisville Charter.
- Stay up to date on all plans and work in relevant Coming Clean teams and in EJHA, particularly to identify communications/media opportunities and possible connections/synergies.
- You have a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in nonprofit or movement communications, including significant direct media outreach experience generating coverage.
- You have a demonstrated track record in the design and execution of multi-faceted communications and media strategies that advance campaigns/initiatives and increase organizational visibility.
- You have experience in, knowledge of, and passion for relevant issues including environmental health, chemical pollution, economic and Environmental Justice, clean energy and preventing climate change.
- You are an effective project manager, organized and able to prioritize and tackle multiple tasks at once within established deadlines.
- You have exceptional writing, editing, and presentation skills with the ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- You have a passion for innovative storytelling and experience designing and producing a wide variety of print and digital content.
- You are adept at managing relationships and working collaboratively and respectfully with individuals and organizations of diverse backgrounds and with diverse priorities.
- You are creative, self-motivated and able to work independently.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in other education and/or experience.
This is a remote position. The ideal candidate is located in the Eastern US.
Salary Range & Benefits:
The Manager of Communications and Media is a full-time position. The salary range for this position is $45,000 - $68,000 annually. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a retirement program, health insurance reimbursement arrangement, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation and unplanned leave.
Application Process and Timeline:
The application period will remain open until the position is filled. Please submit the following materials by email to email@example.com:
- Cover letter, telling us who you are and why you are interested in and qualified for this position
- Three professional employment references with contact information
- Writing sample
Incomplete applications missing required materials will not be considered.
Coming Clean is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to dismantling racism, sexism and other oppressions within our organization and in society as a whole. As such, Coming Clean does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or religion. People of color, young and younger people, women and people of all abilities are particularly encouraged to apply.